Friday, January 9, 2015

Sun Dyeing a Shower Curtain


In the summer of 2014 I took my sun dyeing skills to the next level and successfully completed several shower curtains over the span of two months. 

2014 was not remembered as a particularly good sun dyeing summer.  Perfect conditions were few and far between and looking back now, I don’t know how I managed to make 6 curtains as well as use the precious few sun dyeing weather days to produce enough scarves to meet the need of the shows I was booked into.

Many of you know that I have been sun dyeing ( or practising Heliographic Printing) for about 12 years however two years ago I would not have imagined attempting a piece as big as a shower curtain.  It requires a level of skill that I feel I have just started to obtain.   I must admit to having a bit of help pulling the project off as well.  The photographer behind the camera capturing the making of a shower curtain also went tromping through the forest earlier that day to gather ferns, sumac and other assorted leaves for me to use.  Outside of the camera shots, my eldest son stood ready with a spray bottle of water awaiting instruction as to what part of the curtain he should mist next. 

Making these shower curtains took co-operation, determination and a BIG hat so I wouldn’t pass out from sun stroke!

I hope you enjoy the pictures.